It has always been a great pleasure to reach you all through my blogs. I am sure; you all heard about Kurseong, Darjeeling, and Kalimpong as best tourist spots. But today in this blog, I will be sharing my thoughts about a newfound wonderland, I visited last winter named Sittong.
Sittong nestled in the lap of the mountains
So, if you are thinking, how you can reach Sittong, then let me show the path of this wonderland.
a) Via Road: there are three routes, which connected Sittong from other places.
Route 1: at first, reach Siliguri, then book a cab and which will lead you to Kalijhora via Sevoke. You can reach take a pause and visit Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary in Sukna. After 14 kilometres drive, you will reach Latpanchor and Sittong is 15 kilometers drive from Latpanchor.
Route2: start from Siliguri to Mongpoo Bazaar, which is approximately 55 kilometers drive. Then drive from Mongpoo bazaar to Labda. From Labda it is half an hour’s journey to Sittong. This route Mongpoo is bumpy and driving on this route during monsoon is not advisable as you have to cross Riyang River to reach Sittong.
Route 3: A 55 kilometers drive from Siliguri to Kurseong via Hill cart road. Then 75 kilometers drive from Kurseong to Ghareytar via Dilram and Bagora. The next half an hour drive will take you to Sittong. This route is my personal favourite.
- b) Via airway: After reaching Bagdogra airport, Start the journey to Sittong which is 83 kilometers from the Airport. This road is also well connected to other parts of the country.
Things I loved in Sittong
Sittong was a treat for my eyes, as it is the most untouched part of hills in the Darjeeling Himalayan foothill and the beauty of nature, scenic views of the hills, different birds and orange orchard were worth watching.
The major aspects of this Orange Villa
- Sittong offers a stress-free and healthy life- With so much workload and stress in daily life, visiting an environment of the hill station is healthy as no sign of stress retains over there. The air of the hills purifies the blood and gives peace.
- Sittong is a beautiful destination for adventure lovers- It offers several adventure options like trekking, camping, hiking, rock climbing, and mountain biking. There are several trekking options in Sittong to nearby places within a few kilometres.
- Sittong is less crowed and budget is also less as compared to other destinations- The crowd is nil as compared to other tourist places and travel agencies in this part provide affordable packages.
- Sittong will provide peace of soul– this small village offers rejuvenation to your soul and positive energy. The admirable beauty of nature can be cherished each moment with birds flying above the greeneries and Lepchas with their lifestyle and hospitality.
Nearby places to visit in Sittong
- The house of Rabindranath Tagore at Mongpoo is 20 kilometers away from Sittong.
- Latpanchar is a famous tourist attraction as it is the highest point of Mahananda wildlife sanctuary. It is 13 kilometers away from Sittong. It is a home of various species of birds, butterflies, and Himalayan Salamander.
- Bamboo Church is a local church and a must-visit place as it is 100 years old. The location of the church offers a nice view of the hills surrounding the church. There is a bamboo bridge near the church which wobbles when someone crosses the bridge.
- The monastery at upper Sittong: There is an old monastery at upper Sittong made up of bamboo and mud. The ground next to the monastery is ideally located there and offers a clear view of MT. Kanchenjunga ranges.
- Jogighat is located in the lower Sittong. It is a bridge over Riyang River and a common picnic spot for local people and tourists in Sittong.
Best time to visit Sittong
The best time to visit Sittong is during winter, between November and January. It is the best time to see oranges as every home in this village has orange trees. But if you are a nature and bird lover, the best time to visit Sittong is after monsoon as this place will be covered with greeneries and numerous species of birds. Sittong can also be visited during summer to get relief from the heat.
I really enjoyed my weekend there and if you want to get a bunch of lifetime memories to cherish forever then visit this small hamlet as soon as you can.